Dear Interspeech participants, dear speech community,
We have reached an important milestone: our technical chairs are sending the paper acceptance/rejection notifications today. We received 1985 submissions that we sent out for review, of which 966 were selected for presentation at the conference - thanks a lot to everyone that submitted high quality papers!
The Technical Chairs experienced problems with emails to some countries and institutions - in case you await decision of your paper and have not received it, please check the status of your paper in the START system https://www.softconf.com/l/interspeech2021/ and check instructions for authors of accepted papers https://www.interspeech2021.org/instructions-accepted-papers.
The travel restrictions, at least in Central Europe, are gradually being relaxed, and we have the hope that we will be able to organize Interspeech 2021 in a hybrid format. At the same time, we are aware that many colleagues won’t be able to make it to Brno due to Government regulations, employer restrictions on business travel, or because of family or health issues. Therefore, we are preparing the conference in order to ensure that remote participants have the best possible experience. As was originally announced, the decision “hybrid vs. fully virtual” will be taken by June 20 based on covering author registrations.
How will the papers be presented ?
- In case we are running hybrid, papers presented physically in Brno will speak in oral sessions. The presentations will be streamed and recorded, and discussion can then take place by text chat or audiovisually.
- Remote paper presenters will be asked to pre-record a short video (max 15 minutes), with a 2-minute obligatory summary of the work at the beginning. They will present their papers in “Unified virtual sessions” (we don’t call them “posters” as the presenters can choose a suitable format) with a possibility of audiovisual communication with other participants.
- Special session organizers can make their own arrangements. It is strongly recommended that they chose either a physical or remote format, but not hybrid.
- We will have standard 2-hour slots for all sessions.
What will be the timing ? As we need to accommodate remote participants from different time zones, there are some changes to the usual Interspeech schedule:
- The regular sessions are morning (11:00-13:00), afternoon (16:00-18:00) and evening (19:00-21:00) - all times are in Central European Summer Time (CEST), see below for conversions.
- We have a 15:00-16:00 slot for Keynote talks and 13:00-14:00 slot for survey talks.
- At the time of registration, we will ask paper presenters to inform us about their preferred session time, and we will do our best to accommodate these requests in session building, however, we can not guarantee 100% satisfaction, especially for special and challenge sessions.
- We will allow paper presenters (and anyone else) to organize additional “Virtual gatherings” around papers or other topics. This will help you for example if you are scheduled into a morning session and expect feedback from US colleagues.
Anything special about the registration ? We will also ask the following at the registration:
- Covered papers: June 15 is the deadline for authors covering the papers - as usual, full registrations are allowed to cover up to 4 papers, retired and student registrations up to 2 papers.
- Physical or virtual presence: We know that things can change, therefore, we offer flexible conditions for changing one to the other.
- Indication of presented papers. We need this information in order to build oral and unified virtual sessions. We need to have the paper presenters registered by June 25th.
- Preference of time slots for presentation.
Please mind the following dates:
- June 15 - submission of revised papers and registration of author(s) covering the accepted papers. This is a firm deadline and no extension will be granted for any reason.
- June 10 (midnight CET) - Travel grant application deadline
- June 18 - Travel grant notifications sent
- June 20 - final decision on the format of Interspeech 2021 - hybrid or fully virtual.
- June 25 - registration of paper presenters.
- June 30 - instructions for presentation will be published on the Interspeech 2021 website and by email to authors and presenters.
- July 15 - schedule of papers will be available.
- August 10 - submission of videos, eventually other material for Unified virtual sessions. Deadline of requests for Virtual gatherings.
- August 30 - September 3 - Interspeech 2021
We are sorry for any inconvenience and uncertainty, please stay with us while we’re trying hard to make Insterspeech 2021 (in any format) a success. We hope to see you in Brno in August/September!